This article will cover:
- How to Request a Patient’s Surescripts’ Prescription History
- How to Manually Add a Current Medication
- How to Discontinue a Current Medication
- How to Edit a Current Medication
- How to Renew a Prescription
- How to Cancel a Prescription
How to Request a Patient’s Surescripts’ Prescription History
This feature enables the system to access the SureScripts Benefit Drug History and display an “All Doctors” medication list.
The results are for guidance and should not replace your normal Medication Reconciliation process with the patient.
1. Click the blue Fill History: SureScripts link
2. Select a time range and click Request Prescription History
3. Select the meds of your choice from the Reported Fills list
4. Click the blue Add to Current Meds button
The selected meds will now appear in the patient’s Current Medications List.
How to Manually Add a Current Medication
1. Click the Med Entry tab
2. If known, enter the Prescribing Doctor’s Name
3. If known, enter the Start Date for this medication
4. Enter the Drug Name and click Drug Search
5. Click the grey box with the drug name and desired dosage
6. Click Edit to fill out the Prescription Pad
7. Click Select to Move to Current Meds
The prescription will now appear in the patient’s Current Medications list.
How to Discontinue a Current Medication
1. Under Current Medications click the checkbox to the right of the medication you want to remove
2. Once selected, click the blue D/C button above the checkboxes
The medication has now been removed from the patient’s Current Medications list and discontinued.
|This will not cancel a prescription that has been sent to a pharmacy; only remove it from the Current Medications List.|
How to Edit a Current Medication
1. On the Compose Rx tab, Current Medications are listed near the bottom of the page.
2. Select the EDIT button on the Current Medication you wish to edit.
3. Adjust the Sig Information as needed.
|The dispense information cannot be edited if the prescription is in the Current Medications list, as the patient may already have picked up the prescription. Likewise, changes to Quantity or Frequency will not recalculate the Dispense Quantity.|
4. Click the green Save Rx button to save the new directions.
How to Renew a Prescription
1. Click the checkbox to the left of the current medication.
2. Click the blue Renew button.
3.Transmit the prescription.
The Transmission Receipt confirms the prescription was resent to the pharmacy.
For additional instructions on how to transmit a prescription to a pharmacy, click here.
How to Cancel a Prescription
1. On the Compose Rx tab, navigate to the patient’s Current Medications list
2. Click the Magnifying Glass to the right of the medication to open the Rx Details page
3. To cancel the Rx or refills, select the Notify pharmacy: cancel previously authorized refills button
| NOT ALL PHARMACIES SUPPORT THE CANCELLATION FEATURE.
The cancel option will only be available in pharmacies that support it. If the pharmacy does not support the cancellation feature, contact the pharmacy directly.