This article will walk you through step-by-step and explain how to:
- Compose a Prescription
- Transmit a Prescription
- How to write a Custom Prescription using the Additional Sig
To view the Quick Steps to Send a Prescription article as a PDF please click HERE.
For instruction on how to login to your iCoreRx site please refer to the articles below:
For instruction on how to select a patient please refer to the articles below:
Compose a Prescription
Once logged in and a patient is selected there are three steps to composing a prescription:
1. Add Medication
There are three ways to select the desired medication.
- Search for Drug Name
- Select Medication from Doctor’s List (Favorites List)
- Select Medication from Drug Sets/Compound List
Search for Drug Name
1. Type in the drug name in the Drug Search field.
2. Click on the blue Drug Search button.
3. Select the down arrow next to the Drug Name to expand the category.
4. Select the Strength and Form of the desired Drug.
5. Fill out the Prescription Pad.
See instructions on how to fill out the the Prescription Pad below.
Select Medication from Doctor’s (Favorites) List
1. Select Favorites.
2. Select the desired favorite prescription.
Be sure to click on the underlined black text.
The selected Favorite is now in the Pending Rx list.
View the full article for more detailed instruction on How to Manage the Doctors (Favorites) List.
Select Medication from Drug Sets or Compounds Lists
1. Click on the grey Drug Sets or Compounds button.
2. Select the desired prescription.
- Drug Sets: Select the radio button to choose all drugs in the set or select the checkbox to choose each desired drug in the set and click the blue Prescribe button.
- Compounds: Select the radio button to choose the desired compound and click the blue Prescribe button.
View the full article for more detailed instruction on Managing Drug Sets/Compounds.
2. Complete Electronic Prescription Pad
Complete the Electronic Prescription Pad from left to right.
1. Select Dosage Quantity.
Check PRN checkbox if prescribing a Controlled Substance and select a reason.
2. Select Frequency.
3. Enter Dispense Quantity.
4. Select the checkbox Add to Favorites to store to the Doctor’s (Favorites) List.
5. Enter Additional Sig if applicable.
6. Enter Pharmacist Message if applicable.
7. Click blue Prescribe button once pad is complete.
3. Add Patient Pharmacy
If the patient already has a pharmacy you may skip this step and continue to Transmit a Prescription.
|Controlled Substance participating pharmacies will be marked with a checkmark.
1. After clicking Prescribe on the prescription pad you will have two options to select the patient’s pharmacy:
Option 1. From the Compose Rx tab select the pharmacy drop down box located on right corner of the page and then select Add Pharmacy. Enter the Pharmacy details and click the blue Search button. Next, click the blue Select button to select the pharmacy.
Option 2. From the Pt Details tab located at the top of the page. Click the blue Add button. Enter the Pharmacy details and click the blue Search button. Next, click the blue Select button to select the pharmacy.
|Search by the pharmacy’s name and zip code or phone number
Transmit a Prescription
On the Transmit page, review any Drug Interactions and Alerts if applicable.
A long list of interactions may be minimized by clicking the expand/collapse toggle.
1. Click the Prescribe button.
2. On the Transmit page, please follow the below steps to transmit either:
a. Transmit a Non-Controlled Substance Prescription
1. Confirm the selected Pharmacy
2. Click the blue Transmit button
The Transmission Receipt confirms that the prescription has been sent to the pharmacy.
b. Transmit a Controlled Substance Prescription
1. Enter 4-digit pin number and click the Enter Pin button.
2. Select a device to use to Sign Rx: Hardware Token or Authy Phone App.
- Hardware Token: Enter 6-digit one-time passcode and click Sign & Transmit Rx. To obtain the passcode click button on hardware token for digits to appear.
- Authy Phone App: Enter 6-digit one-time passcode. To obtain the passcode select one of the options below:
Authy Phone App Option 1: Open Authy mobile app and a 6-digit passcode will appear. Enter into Passcode field and then click Sign & Transmit Rx.
Authy Phone App Option 2: Click Send Push Notification button and click Approve from the notification on your phone.
- NOTE: A countdown will display the time remaining to approve the notification from your cellphone.
3. Once signed, you will see the Transmission Receipt showing the prescription has been sent.
The newly transmitted Rx will be listed under Current Medications on the Compose Rx screen.
How to write a Custom Prescription using the Additional Sig
The Additional Sig field is where custom instructions or pre-meds can be added for the patient. These instructions will print on the label of the bottle.
1. Enter the drug name in the search field and click blue Drug Search button.
2. Select the desired drug, strength and form to fill in the digital prescription pad.
3. Select the “Add’l Sig” option from the quantity and frequency menus. If needed adjust Form and Route.
4. Enter the custom message under the Additional Sig field at the bottom of the prescription pad.
|Additional Sig Quick Tip:
Add additional instructions to label.
Example: Take until goneRe-write a Prescription for Premeds or Custom Prescriptions.
Example: Take 4 caps 1 hr prior to dental appointment
Note: the “Additional Sig” field has a character limit of 140, abbreviate text as much as possible.
5. Enter the dispense quantity and select any additional information needed.
6. Select the blue Prescribe button located on the upper right hand side.